I eluded Joe and Madeline's stomach bug all week but it finally caught up with me. I've been up since 1 a.m. but I can't complain since I managed to grab an incredibly restful and healing one-hour nap this afternoon. Joe thinks I'm enjoying this sickness since I watched three episodes of "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" during the night.
(He's almost right. Camille is cuh-razy and incredibly entertaining because she's just so unbelievabe.)
So here's a list of everything on my mind right now.
1. Caleb's fussiness is turning into a more permanent house guest (much like Cedric in Beverly Hills) so we went back to the doctor today. Thankfully he's still gaining weight despite some pretty weak-sauce feedings so we upped his medicine and I'm going dairy-free for the next two weeks to see if that helps.
My first reaction to no dairy was "Oh, OK. No big deal." And while I'm willing to do anything for my baby, I've been realizing all afternoon...um... I really love dairy.
Because, you guys. I eat it in every meal. All. The. Time.
I slathered all Mexican dishes with sour cream and Monterey jack. I only like pasta with heapings of mozzerella or ricotta. I like both my eggs and toast to have butter. I will only drink tea with half and half or cream.
But to decrease the screams, I'll eliminate anything. I just need you to hold my hand for the next 14 days.
2. Sometimes parenting makes me feel like a flake. I've cancelled on so many friends and get-togethers during the last two months. I know everyone understands but it still bothers me. I'm guessing this doesn't end until the kids become adults.
3. Madeline is super inquisitive about Joe's job. She asks me frequently what daddy's doing at work and I normally say that he designs parks because it's the simplest answer for a very misunderstood profession. Then one day while talking to Joe, she said, "Daddy? You know how you design parks? I don't know what that is. What is design a park?"
So he took her to work for a morning.
But after spending time in the office, I still don't think she knows what design a park means because it has nothing to do with watching cartoons.
4. Because I just can't move on, I checked out "Friday Night Lights" from the library. As in the book. It's interesting so far but I still miss Coach and Tami Taylor.
5. A new year makes me feel so hopeful and inspired with a clean slate and fresh start. So far, this feeling has come out in a purging craze. When it comes to anything with sentimental attachment, I kinda border on hording.
Confession: I haven't gotten rid of any of Madeline's clothes. Like, from newborn until now. But I decided that if baby number two was a boy, I would go through the clothes and force them from the basement.
Yesterday (before my insides decided they wanted to be on the outside) I went through three tubs, two laundry baskets and three trash bags of girl clothes and filled eight trash bags for donation. I allowed myself to fill only one tub with Madeline's clothes. I actually did it and looking back, I wish I had eaten a stick of butter in celebration because I didn't know then it would be my forbidden fruit today.
Up next: the toy situation. Which means I'll emerge in 2013 because wowzers. It's bad.
6. Our Christmas tree was thrown away last week but the rest of our decorations are still up. Don't judge me. They might be up until Valentine's Day.