February 2, 2012

An update on my little guy

Oh Turtle, your daddy and I love you so much.

The last 24 hours have been interesting. Caleb and I got home from his sleep study yesterday at 6 a.m. We were both pretty tired from the night before but I was glad to have it done and over with. The tech said it was successful but we wouldn't know any results for about two weeks.

We both fell back asleep, so grateful to be home. I slept for a bit and then called Caleb's doctor because a plugged tear duct got infected over the weekend and on Tuesday night, the pus had blood in it. (Sorry to be gross but it's important later on.) 

I took Madeline to preschool and Caleb and I headed over to BSF. He slept through most of it and I was wishing I could do the same. Some days I want to be carried around in a giant car seat with a warm fleece cover. Yesterday was one of those days.

We picked up Madeline and Blake from preschool and headed to Blake's house for a bit while Jenn picked up her tickets to Jimmy Fallon. (So jealous.)

Before we went to the doctor's office, we had to stop at Target to pick up diapers.

Know what's the worst possible time to try out cloth diapers? It's when your baby starts having crazy, multicolored diarrhea from switching to a new medicine, gets an infected eye and then has a sleep study. So many diapers to be washed. So little time to wash them. Dumb timing.

At the appointment, the doctor confirmed that the infection was definitely worse and put him on a stronger antibiotic to clear it up quickly so the infection wouldn't travel to his ears or anywhere else.

When Joe got home at 5:30 p.m., I immediately handed off both kids and crashed into bed. I was wiped.

Then just after 6 p.m., I woke up to a call from Caleb's doctor. We had to go immediately to the hospital. The preliminary results of the sleep study had too many abnormalities for him to sleep unmonitored. It was shocking and initially felt devastating.

My parents picked up Madeline, we stuffed a few things in a bag, sped up the road in tears and walked into a room prepared for him, all within 45 minutes.

We felt better after talking to the doctor here. While his sleep study wasn't good, the actual numbers on the report (whatever they are for) weren't in the doctor's hand so no one knows how bad the study was. Also, if Caleb is fighting a virus because of the eye infection, the sleep study could be inaccurate. Staying at the hospital last night was more precautionary than anything else.

The good news is Caleb slept really well last night, had good oxygen levels and didn't have any sleep apnea episodes. I'm really really hoping it was just a bad study.

Right now, we're waiting for the actual study results to get to the pulmonologist at the hospital. We're also waiting to see if Caleb shows any other signs of fighting a virus.

Depending on the new information that's coming, he'll have tests run today and we might be here for a bit. We really just don't know at this point.

But thankfully, he's an overall strong and healthy boy. We are so so thankful for that.

Please pray for the doctors and wisdom for them to determine what to do, pray for Caleb to get better if he is fighting a virus and pray that Joe and I can clearly process everything they tell us.

I'll keep updating if I can when we get new information.

Love my Touchdown Turtle.


Katy @ KatySheCooks said...

Oh, so, so sweet. Praying for you guys, this has to be so draining. Hoping you get some answers soon!

punkinmama said...

Praying for you all!